Gene Steratore is heading to the Super Bowl for the sec

in Allgemeines 26.09.2019 05:03
von panxing18 • 147 Beiträge

ond straight season Travis Kelce Jersey , this time in a very different capacity.Steratore wraps up his first year as CBS rules analyst at Super Bowl 53 in Atlanta on Feb. 3. He will be in the booth with Jim Nantz and Tony Romo whenever a replay decision or officiating call needs interpretation as the Los Angeles Rams face the New England Patriots.CBS hired Steratore last summer when he retired after a 35-year career as a football and basketball official. He had been an NFL official since 2003 and was a referee for 12 years. His final assignment was last year’s Super Bowl between New England and Philadelphia.“I’m maybe a little more nervous about this game. It’s good, nervous energy because there’s the lack of 35 years of experience (in television),” Steratore said in a phone interview.Steratore was in the network’s New York studio on Sundays during the regular season, but he did work the Chicago-Detroit Thanksgiving game in the booth to get used to working with Nantz and Romo. He has been part of the crew throughout the playoffs.He acknowledged he had a learning curve at the beginning of the season but has gained confidence throughout the year.“He has a lot of natural ability to articulate what we need in a short window. I’ve been able to carry on a conversation with him as if we’ve been doing this for years,” Nantz said. “The way the rules are these days I can’t imagine operating your show without someone.”Viewers of last Sunday’s AFC championship game between New England and Kansas City didn’t hear much from Steratore during the first three quarters, but there was a period during the fourth quarter when Steratore was offering more analysis than Romo.Julian Edelman’s apparent fumble of a Kansas City punt was reversed because there was no clear evidence that he touched it. Chiefs receiver Sammy Watkins also had a reception nullified when replay showed the ball hit the ground when he was unable to maintain clear possession.A catch by the Patriots’ Chris Hogan was upheld even though one angle showed he wasn’t able to maintain possession before it hit the ground. There was also a roughing-the-passer penalty against Kansas City defensive lineman Chris Jones that Steratore thought was the wrong call.“We had about a 15-minute period where it was the Gene Steratore show,” CBS producer Jim Rikhoff said. “He has fit in perfectly with what we have done. He has a natural chemistry with Jim and Tony, and I am sure he will do a great job next week.”Steratore is also hoping the Super Bowl won’t have the controversy that marred the two conference championship games. The non-pass interference against Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman in the NFC championship game against New Orleans has continued to resonate.“It’s an egregious mistake in that it is a foul. We don’t need to dwell more on the fact since coaches, players and officials all understand the magnitude,” Steratore said of the call. “I know the officials agree and admit that it was a mistake.“What I hope to always remember is how hard and fast this game is when you get between the lines. You probably are never going to work a perfect game.”Steratore has been at the center of controversial calls over the years. He was the referee in 2010 for the Calvin Johnson touchdown that was overturned and made “process of the catch” part of the NFL lexicon.Five years later in the NFC divisional round, Dez Bryant’s catch was overturned when it was determined he didn’t hold the ball throughout the process of going to the ground. Last year, the NFL’s competition committee simplified the catch rules.Steratore thinks the league has done a better job of defining the catch and making it easier to define possession. When it comes to other matters [url=www.http://www.thechiefsclub.com/tyreek-hill-jersey/]Tyreek Hill Jersey[/url] , he admits the job of officials continues to get more difficult, especially at a time when many veteran officials such as Steratore are retiring.“It was going to be a tall task this year with four referees leaving, implementing the helmet-to-helmet rule and a couple of other rules that were points of emphasis,” he said. “The game gets harder every year. We dwell on the major mistakes made year in and year out, but I don’t know if this year was worse than years past.”The calls from the championship games also showed why each network has a former referee working games. Steratore was hired after CBS didn’t have one for two seasons. Rikhoff said with networks going to commercials during replay reviews, that gives Steratore more time to review the play, look for the right angles, then be able to form an opinion.Football wasn’t the only sport CBS hired Steratore for. He will also be a part of the CBS coverage of the NCAA basketball tournament. Steratore’s hope for the Super Bowl, though, is that he won’t need to be used that often.“Being in Atlanta for the week and watching what happens, the excitement is tremendous,” he said. “I think with all of this not only an official but as a fan of the game Darwin Thompson Kansas City Chiefs Jerseys , we want the players and coaches to decide it.” LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Alexander Rossi has been quietly “collecting points” through the first three races of the IndyCar season.There’s been nothing spectacular about his start to the season — finishes of fifth, ninth and fifth and five total laps led — but it could be the strategy that leads him to his first IndyCar championship. Rossi learned last year in losing the title to Scott Dixon that salvaging decent finishes on mediocre days is the clearest path to a title.“The big thing is minimizing the bad days,” Rossi said Friday. “Last year, if we look at us compared to Scott, we were pretty much the same across the board except the days where I had a 12th or 15th, he’d have a fifth or a ninth.”Next up is Sunday’s race on the temporary street course in downtown Long Beach. Rossi won from the pole last season, the first of three victories that put him in a race to the finale with five-time champion Dixon.Rossi had a small setback at the start of his weekend when a cut tire in Friday’s first practice session shortened his track time because Andretti Autosport didn’t want to burn another set of tires. He understood the need to look at the bigger picture, which he’s done through the first three races. He thought his fifth-place finish at Barber last week was close to a victory for him because of his previous struggles at the Alabama track, and he’s fourth in the standings.Only problem? Dixon, also winless so far this season, is second in the standings and was fastest in Friday’s second practice. Rossi was sixth in that session Kansas City Chiefs Jerseys 2019 , behind teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay, who was fastest in the morning and right behind Dixon in the afternoon.The second session was competitive with 19 of the 23 drivers separated by less than a second.“It’s a lot closer than I thought,” said Hunter-Reay, a previous Long Beach winner.Dixon and teammate Felix Rosenqvist put two Chip Ganassi Racing cars in the top-three of the second practice, while Andretti had three cars in top 10 and Team Penske had two cars.Dixon, typically a slow starter every year, already has a pair of runner-up finishes this season. He credited rookie teammate Rosenqvist for elevating the Ganassi program.“The car feels like it’s in the window, we’re just trying to make it a little easier to drive,” said Dixon. “It’s quite nice that Felix and I have a pretty similar feeling. I haven’t had that kind of crossover for a few years. He’s a big talent. It’s great to work with him. He’s a good person, someone that’s definitely going to push the team hard but also I think someone that’s bright for the future of IndyCar, which is definitely needed.”Rossi doesn’t seem concerned, focused only on scoring his first win of the season and not approaching Long Beach as if it’s the track where his season must hit another gear.“I’d like a trophy because I’m just annoyed we haven’t gotten one yet Darwin Thompson Jersey nfl draft ,” he said. “I think we’re very much in touch. It’s a long season. There’s so many guys now that we can talk about, list off that are going to win races this year. You’re not going to have guys win five races any more, I don’t think.“So it’s about the days you’re not winning, to be close enough, always being in the conversation, right? You can’t have weekends where you qualify 16th, 17th. You need to always be in the top six or seven, every week. I think if you can do that, naturally, it’s just going to come.”

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 603 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2628 Themen und 36429 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de