Buddy Ryan’s feud with Mike Ditka dominated headlines

in Eure Scrolls und Lineages 18.09.2019 08:22
von zhangzk • 125 Beiträge

Philadelphia Eagles returned to the playoffs following a six-year absence to play the Chicago Bears on New Year’s Eve 1988.Then weather stole the show.Late in the second quarter with the Bears leading 17-6 Ryquell Armstead Jersey , things got weird. A dense fog rolled in off Lake Michigan and seeped into Soldier Field.“I remember looking to the left side of the field and we thought the stadium was on fire because it was that thick and it was billowing over the side of the wall,” former Eagles middle linebacker Mike Reichenbach recalled this week. “It was like a horror movie. It kind of engulfed the stadium in no time.”CBS play-by-play announcer Verne Lundquist and analyst Terry Bradshaw couldn’t see the field from the booth. Fans in the stands had no idea what was happening.“It’s eerie,” Lundquist said on the broadcast before Bradshaw explained how warm weather — the temperature was in the mid-30s — mixed with cold water from the lake created the fog.The fog grew thicker after halftime and it became more difficult for players and fans at the game to see anything. Viewers couldn’t see the action on television even though CBS switched to its sideline cameras.Reichenbach said he had to run over to Ryan on the sideline to get the defensive calls before going back to relay it in the huddle. But the game continued despite poor visibility.When the officials met for a discussion in the end zone, Ryan sent Reichenbach over to find out what they were thinking.“They were looking to see the goal posts so we can play,” Reichenbach said. “They said: ‘Yeah, we can see it.’ I couldn’t see 20 yards. It was very dense. There was all kinds of stuff going on in the trenches, holding, punching. It got physical.”Eagles running back Keith Byars wasn’t sure what the officials were seeing.“I couldn’t see past the left tackle,” said Byars, who caught nine passes for 103 yards.Longtime Eagles play-by-play radio announcer Merrill Reese compares calling the game in the fog to staring at a white wall.“We saw absolutely nothing,” Reese said.Somehow, Eagles quarterback Randall Cunningham racked up 407 yards passing http://www.jaguarscheapshop.com/cheap-authentic-gardner-minshew-ii-jersey , but he threw three interceptions and the offense could only manage four field goals in a 20-12 loss.Many Philadelphia players insist the outcome would’ve been different if it wasn’t for the fog. Byars said the Eagles would have gone on to win the Super Bowl. The San Francisco 49ers ended up defeating the Cincinnati Bengals for the championship.“I couldn’t see 15 yards past the line of scrimmage,” Cunningham said afterward. “We had to go to short passes. The Bears knew that, and they jumped all over it.”The Eagles won the NFC East in 1988 on the final day of the regular season, finishing 10-6 in Ryan’s third year with the team. The brash-talking Ryan was the defensive coordinator on Ditka’s staff in Chicago when the Bears destroyed the New England Patriots 46-10 in the Super Bowl following the 1985 season. Ryan was carried off the field after that victory and rode off to Philadelphia, declaring “You got a winner in town” on the day he was hired as head coach in 1986.There was plenty of animosity between Ryan and Ditka from the time they were together in Chicago and afterward. It boiled over during the week leading up to that playoff game, and Ryan had the team’s bus driver circle around Soldier Field to honk the horn when the Eagles arrived in Chicago the day before the game.“We come into the city and everybody is thinking about settling in, get to the hotel, think about the game, and Buddy wants to drive around the stadium honking the horns,” Reichenbach said. “I remember going to the stadium from the airport and the bus driver is honking the horn and nobody was there. We’re all thinking why are we doing this, but that was Buddy.”Chicago’s victory in the Fog Bowl 30 years ago is the only time the Bears have defeated the Eagles in three playoff meetings. The Bears (12-4) get another chance when they host the Eagles (9-7) on Sunday in an NFC wild-card game.Sans the fog, hopefully. The Jacksonville Jaguars built their offense around a player who played less than 30 percent of the snaps this season.Running back Leonard Fournette was injured Marquise Brown Jersey , suspended and on the bench in crunch time. He was fined, criticized and admittedly not in ideal shape late in the year.Fournette was more of a problem than a pro.And now the Jaguars (5-11) have to decide what to do with the fourth overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft. It’s one of the main questions Jacksonville faces as it heads into an offseason that will be focused on revamping an offense that ranked 31st in the league in scoring.Coach Doug Marrone confirmed Monday that the team has voided the remaining guarantees in Fournette’s four-year rookie contract worth $27.1 million. The team made the move following Fournette’s weeklong suspension in late November. Fournette still could challenge the decision, which could cost him up to $7.1 million.At the very least, Fournette is now at risk of being cut or traded. No one would be surprised to see either happen after Sunday’s season finale at Houston.Fournette and fellow running back T.J. Yeldon spent most of the 20-3 loss on the bench and disengaged from coaches and teammates. Fournette was inactive because of foot and ankle injuries; Yeldon was active but did not play.More Jacksonville Jaguars newsJaguars expect DE Yannick Ngakoue’s holdout to be short-livedJaguars rookie safety Zedrick Woods submits retirement paperworkJalen Ramsey says Jaguars don’t plan to give him contract extension this seasonJaguars sign former UCF running back Taj McGowan for added depthJaguars QB Nick Foles to miss OTAs for undisclosed ‘personal reason’“It’s disappointing what occurred the other day,” Marrone said Monday. “We have taken care of it from a disciplinary standpoint, but like what I’ve always told you, those things remain between the club and the player.”Personnel chief Tom Coughlin ripped both players for being “disrespectful” and “selfish.”“Their behavior was unbecoming of a professional football player,” Coughlin said in a statement.Fournette has missed 11 games in two seasons because of injuries and suspensions. The former LSU star ran for 439 yards and five touchdowns in eight games this season after running for 1,040 yards and nine touchdowns as a rookie.But he also was suspended one game in 2017 for leaving early during the bye week and suspended a week without pay for leaving the bench, running across the field and instigating a fight with Buffalo defensive end Shaq Lawson on Nov. 25. Fournette lost nearly $100,000 in salary during the weeklong suspension. It could cost him considerably more if the Jaguars decided to cut him with no guaranteed money remaining.“I definitely pride myself on trying to help some of the younger guys develop,” veteran defensive end Calais Campbell said. “I do believe that he’s a good person at heart and wants to be a good player. This is a unique situation http://www.ravensfootballauthentics.com/jaylon-ferguson-jersey-authentic , but I believe that he’s going to continue to mature and hopefully be who we need him to be.”Jaguars owner Shad Khan opted to keep Coughlin, Marrone and general manager Dave Caldwell intact for 2019 , giving them a chance to fix the team’s problems. Jacksonville finished last in the AFC South after making the conference championship game last January, a freefall that could be blamed mostly on offensive injuries and ineptitude.Offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett was fired in November, creating one opening Marrone still has to fill. Quarterback Blake Bortles, who regressed in his fifth season and was benched, expects to be released before March.“When things don’t go well, a lot of it falls on the quarterback’s shoulders,” Bortles said. “I know that and signed up for that and have no problem with it, whether it’s a scapegoat or whatever you want to call it, somebody’s got to take the blame when things don’t go well. I think Nathaniel was one of those guys. I think I’m one of those guys. And I think other guys on this team were part of that as well.”Right tackle Jermey Parnell, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins and running back Carlos Hyde could join Bortles in the free-agent market. Yeldon Miles Boykin Jersey , receiver Donte Moncrief, right guard A.J. Cann and running back Corey Grant are soon-to-be free agents. So are eight reserve offensive linemen.So numerous changes are coming for Jacksonville’s offense.And now Fournette’s future looks as wobbly as one of Bortles’ passes.“Availability, coachability and scheme,” Marrone said when asked about the offensive makeover ahead. “When I talk about that, we have to do a better job with the players we have available. We have to do a better job if those players don’t become available, what we’re going to do next. I think that’s an important thing when we look at it, and I think that was a mistake that I made this year.”

nach oben springen

Besucher

Besucherzähler
Heute waren 386 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2628 Themen und 36429 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de